To be considered for admission to the UM Health-West Assisted Breathing Center, patients must meet the following criteria:
- Existing tracheostomy and ventilator dependent for at least 6 hours a day
- Requiring frequent acute care intervention related to respiratory needs
- Co-morbidities exist that require frequent medical monitoring including, but not limited to:
- Intermediate or continuous dialysis
- Wound care
- Frequent infections
- Diabetes mellitus
- Cardiac problems
- Patient is afebrile with stable arterial blood gasses and is hemodynamically stable
- Patient has a discharge goal, which might include:
- Discharge home on a ventilator
- Weaning off the ventilator
- Stabilization of co-morbidities
An ABC Case Manager helps evaluate each case and how we can help. We work with patients and their families to decide if the UM Health-West Assisted Breathing Center is the right place.
When admissions are approved, we’ll schedule an admission date for as soon as there is availability in the Center.
If you have questions, please call our ABC Case Manager at (616) 252-7630.