Thank you for your interest in our program. We welcome you to the UM Health-West Emergency Medicine Residency Program.
It is the Mission of the Emergency Medicine Residency Program to educate its residents to become competent and compassionate physicians.
The program must seek to give its residents the tools needed to sustain a lifetime of education, to become involved in and committed to the broader community and to pursue an awareness of the values in their lives which create satisfaction and self-actualization, both personally and professionally.
The Emergency Medicine Residency at University of Michigan Health – West is comprised of motivated, energetic, responsible and confident residents and staff physicians who seek to provide the best patient emergency care experience. Each resident is encouraged to not only learn the necessary skills needed to be a successful emergency physician but also a person of respect in the community in which they practice. The curriculum is extensive and provides procedure skills to enable each graduating resident to practice anywhere in the country. Amid a culture of change in medicine, it is the aim of our residency to train physicians whose intent continues to strive for excellence and lifelong learning.
The Emergency Medicine Residency:
- 6 residents per year
- Residents progress with graduated responsibility through both emergency department settings
- 8 months per year spent in the Emergency
Department, the remainder of time spent in
scheduled or chosen electives
- 100% supervision and feedback on all resident cases
- Diversity in attending styles provides a variety of input and opinion on case management
- Strong academic schedule; required weekly
didactics, emphasis the CORE content of the
- Residents provide lectures both within the
Residency and hospital wide
- Ongoing written board-style quizzes; oral boards case reviews. Follows Foundations of EM Curriculum.
About the Emergency Department:
- Annual census at University of Michigan Health-West is 65,000
- Level II Trauma Certification and Certified
- 28 Monitored Beds, 31 Total Emergency
- Residents, interns, and students from a variety of programs regularly rotate through the department
- High acuity and residents to patient ratio provide ample opportunity to learn critical care management as well as perform numerous procedures
- ACLS trained and supportive nursing staff
- Provides medical staff and coverage for sporting events in Grand Rapids including; Grand Rapids Triathlon, and The Grand Rapids Marathon
Meet the Emergency Medicine Residents
Meet the Emergency Medicine Faculty
For More Information
Program Director – Allison Edberg, DO
Contact Lauren Gaytan, Senior Program Coordinator