Specially trained occupational therapists from Mary Free Bed provide services at UM Health-West Hospital to help patients recover from surgery, injury or chronic conditions that affect the hands.
Hand therapists play a key role in recovery, strength, mobility and injury prevention.
- Static-splinting for protection and dynamic-splinting for increasing movement
- Patient and family education
- Methods to reduce swelling and inflammation
- Scar management
- Techniques to increase motion, dexterity and strength
- Joint protection education
- Manual therapy for joints and soft tissue