For patients who have been diagnosed with a heart condition or undergone a major cardiovascular treatment, UM Health-West offers a Pritikin© Intensive Cardiac Rehab program that combines exercise, education and lifestyle change.
How It Works
Pritikin© Intensive Cardiac Rehab includes not only an exercise component, but also teaches patients and families how to cook heart-healthy meals, become smart grocery shoppers, order intelligently in restaurants and lose weight in a healthy way.
Tailored specifically and exclusively for cardiovascular patients, our care program is designed to help patients get back to a more normal life. Our goal is to improve strength, function and knowledge while lowering risk factors.
Cardiovascular Rehab includes:
- Individualized treatment plans
- Pritikin© healthy eating plan
- EKG monitoring during supervised exercise sessions
- Heart-healthy nutrition classes
- Cholesterol, blood pressure and diabetes monitoring and control
- Weight and stress management
- Tobacco cessation
- Risk factor modification education classes for patients and family members
Cardiovascular Rehab benefits:
- Improve strength, endurance and physical function
- Increase quality of life
- Lessen chance of another heart attack
- Control heart disease symptoms such as chest pain or shortness of breath
- Stop or reverse damage to blood vessels in heart
- Improve ability to perform daily activities